Monday, July 30, 2007

Arakas Latheros (Peas)

During grocery shopping last weekend I noticed alot more produce being offered from local producers and this is a good thing. You see, in Canada we're blessed/cursed to have such an abundant supply and array of produce come to us. I wish I could eat locally grown produce all year 'round but alas, Canada (in particular southern Ontario) remains to have a climate where snow usually appears in late November and we don't see our first green grass until the snow melts in mid-March.

Eat your locally grown produce while you can. I found Ontario fresh peas and I was not going to have another tin or a package of frozen peas again...that's what December's are for...it's July dammit and I'm eating local!

Arakas Latheros

5oo gr. fresh peas
4 scallions
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 Tbsp butter
1 1/2 ripe tomatoes, grated into a puree
About 1 cup water
3 Tbsp dill, chopped
1 Tbsp fresh mint, chopped
salt & pepper to taste

  1. Shell, wash and drain peas. Chop white part of the scallions into small pieces and the green part into large pieces.
  2. Heat oil and butter in a pot. Add the scallions and cook until soft but not browned. Add the peas and cook very lightly. Add the tomatoes, dill, salt, and pepper. Add enough water to half cover the peas. Cover the pot. Cook over medium heat until only the oil remains and the liquid has been absorbed (about 30 min.). Add the fresh chopped mint, stir in and serve warm.

Print this post

4 comments:

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

Have a fabulous time in Greece Peter. Enjoy every bite of delicious, mouthwatering food. I am so jeolous!!!!I'll look forward to reading your posts!! Flavourful recipe by the way!!!

Janet said...

This is the first think you've ever posted that I DIDN'T want to make... I can't stand peas! Really, Peter, come-on! No more peas OK?

Peter M said...

Janet, your hubby and kids requested a pea recipe...a sort of "pay back"! lol

Katerina The KM Projects said...

Why don't you add fresh dill instead of fresh mint. It would be more original.