
This is my second soup with the main ingredient being chick peas. The first soup was creamy and this one's chunky.
As I've written earlier, I used to hate chick peas as a kid...scarred from being dragged to grown-up parties and having to taste those dry chick peas with raisins.
You can guess I always picked through and ate the raisins. Today, I have a new appreciation of legumes and in this case, chick peas. They are inexpensive (dry or canned), healthy and I now think they taste great.
There's a new blog event called "No Croutons Required" and it's hosted this month by Lisa's Vegetarian Kitchen. Lisa is just a couple of hours south of me on the Hwy. 401 and I have to support my peeps (and try and get he to eat some carcass).
Staying with the Canadian theme, this recipe is from Food Network Canada's Christine Cushing who's also Greek (surname by marriage) and from tasting this soup, she was going for Greek and near East flavours.
Christine Cushing (CC) used to have a live 1 hour show in the early evening and if anyone from Food Network Canada is reading this......BRING HER BACK!
You can view CC's recipe here and although she uses chicken stock in her version, vegetable stock would work wonderfully as this soup is highlighted for vegetarians.
Thursday, February 7, 2008
CC's Chick Pea Soup
Labels:
Legume,
Soup,
Vegetables,
Vegetarian
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

21 comments:
Hey Pete!
That is such a pretty soup, thanks for entering the challenge!
Chickpeas and raisin are an unpleasntry I am glad I have never come across, yuck!
I still haven't thought of a good Canadian joke yet! I will never be a comedian! Now don't be cheeky!
That soup looks so good Peter! I think chick peas are literally one of my favorite foods - so versatile and so filling and they are visually appealing too. Bring on the Chick Peas!
What's wrong with stragalia (sp?) - personally, I still love them, however you need to follow a strict 2 raisins per chickpea ratio in order to maximize the deliciousness!
Funny -- as a kid, I would have avoided the raisins in any savory dish. And now, I don't know that I'm much better. Somehow, it just seems wrong to have those little wrinkly dark things in anything but rice pudding and raisin bread. Or bagels. Or raisin bran. :)
This soup looks soooooo delicious!
This soup looks so healthy, chickpeas are great I could just eat a lovely warm bowl of this right now. :-)
I love chickpeas!!! My mom used to tell me when I was a kid that every chickpea I ate added 20 seconds to my life. I will live forever I suppose ;)
I knew I could expect a top notch entry from you. Wonderful. Thanks for participating Peter, though I won't be persuaded to eat carcass. Your meaty dishes are surely amazing, but I'll stick to your vegetarian creations thanks very much.
As a child I would have eaten the chickpeas and picked out the raisins. I also liked pickled beets, so go figure... I still love anything with chickpeas. The soup looks delicious!
I love chickpeas! This soup looks delicious, and I'm going to make some tomorrow. Can't wait....
Aiyana
This looks good and hearty, Peter, perfect for the February blahs. My son might actually like it too!
This soup looks hearty and tasty.
Peter, we can't catch up with you. Two posts a day!! Great soup Peter.
Holler, I've got mine ready but must find the time to post it.
Christine Cushing is on the Food network here so I do see her sometimjes in the early morning around 5 AM :) I will have to get on with making my soup, I have all the ingredients....there is some stiff competition out there :)
This looks delicious Peter! I love chickpeas, and actually made some yesterday while stuck in the house watching the snow come down, to be posted later. I'll have to check out this recipe!! Thanks
I love soups with chick peas! Beautiful!
This sounds yummy! I love chick peas coming from the Middle East we ate it alot so I def. would love to try this.
I made some minestra last night and threw some ceci in there just for extra flave/fiber. That musta been you making my spidey senses tingle!
I love garbanzos! Up to date everytime I tried to cook them at home they were too hard, but I keep on trying... any tips?
Everybody, this soup was simple and surprisingly tasty but I'm also elated that it's been noticed so well, I hope you all try it.
Holler and Lisa, the pleasure is all mine.
Jenn, ceci have grown on me.
The _J, I just hated them as a kid but boy I'm glad I've revisited foods.
Kelly, I've always loved raisins.
Val, CC's still on here too but they are all repeats you're watching.
Maria Italiana, I always look forward to your posts.
Heather, I was thinking Wonder Twins!
Nuria, are you soaking the garbanzos over night? Also, the canned variety are just fine.
Wow Peter, this is my first visit to your blog and I don't know which post to comment on, they are all so good, weel done. Come visit on my site, I'd love to hear from you.
Hi Peter,
Tried this soup last night. I think I will be sticking with the fakes and carrot/ginger soup. This one was not a hit all round. Thanks for sharing the recipe!
Post a Comment