Monday, August 6, 2007

Pan-Fried Cajun Rainbow Trout

For those familiar with Toronto, you might remember the Whistling Oyster. Although I'm not a fan of basement establishments, this once used to be innovative, had an open kitchen, one could sit at a table or eat casually at the bar.

I've been told it has since closed but I hold dear memories of eating and drinking...alot there! Their happy hour menus were a great way to try new dishes, most with an Asian and seafood slant.

One of my favourite dishes was the Pan-fried Cajun Rainbow Trout. Canada boasts of having lots of rainbow trout. I love trout for it's flaky texture, it has a pink, almost salmon colour and it's a versatile fish as it's great grilled, broiled or in this case, pan-fried.

Next time you're hankering for seafood, ask for rainbow trout...tell'em Pete sent ya!

Pan-Fried Cajun Rainbow Trout

Cajun seasoning
Onion powder
garlic powder
salt and pepper
white flour
corn flour
2 rainbow trout fillets
olive oil
butter

  1. In a bowl, add your cajun seasoning, onion powder, garlic powder, salt, pepper, flour and corn flour and mix well. Brush your fillets with olive oil and and dredge them with the flour mixture.
  2. In a large frying pan, add your olive oil and butter to medium-high heat. Place your fillets in the pan (skin-side first). The fillets are thin and should only take 2-3 minutes per side.
  3. Serve with a squeeze of lime juice and a side of rice or try a linguine with a mushroom-cream sauce...just like at the Whistling Oyster!

Print this post

7 comments:

Kalyn Denny said...

Hi Peter, sorry about the typo in the WHB roundup. I fixed it, but I am giggling a bit too to think I managed to make up a Greek word with a slightly risque meaning!

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

There is nothing like fresh trout cooked straight after being caught. Here in the Okanagan Valley we have Kokanee which are similar to trout but are really freshwater salmon.(Kokanee is not just "the beer out here"). This recipe could easily be managed when camping over an open fire. I can taste them, now!!!

Peter M said...

Valli, I think us Canadians take our fresh water fish for granted...we should eat more of it!

Patricia Scarpin said...

Peter, this fish dish looks so good!

Janet said...

This looks really good. I must confess, when I'm frying fish, I often cheat and use one of those enveloped of "fish fry" seasonings, but I think I will try this next time...

Thistlemoon said...

This looks beautiful! I love trout!

Nirmala said...

I love pan friend fish. I do the same with catfish.