With the warm weather still hanging around and it officially now being autumn, I thought it was time to share a fall dish that's sure to warm anyone when the temperature soon drops.
Beef Bourguignon has many recipe variations. It's a beef stew. It just sounds fancy when uttered by the French. I've tried many different recipes & methods. Some call for a slow stove-top simmer, others a slow braise in the oven. Both methods work fine.
I've found what makes the difference is the cut of beef you use. Use a good "middle-of-the-road cut. This summer I discovered top sirloin and I found the meat to be very flavourful and fork tender when slow cooked...perfect for Beef Bourguignon.
Beef Bourguignon
1 Tbsp of olive
8 rashers of good bacon, chopped
2 1/2 lbs. of top sirloin, cubed
coarse salt
freshly ground black pepper
4 large carrots, cut into 1 inch pieces on a bias
2 large onions, diced
1 lb of button mushrooms, halved
3 tsp of minced garlic
1/2 cup of cognac
1 can (cup of beef broth)
1 bottle of good dry red wine
1 Tbsp of tomato paste
1 Tbsp of fresh thyme
3 bay leaves
8 small white potatoes, whole
- Pour your olive oil into the pot and then render your bacon under medium heat. Remove and reserve the bacon after it becomes crispy.
- Pat dry your beef cubes then season with salt & pepper. Sear the beef in batches in the bacon fat that's remained in the pot. Reserve your beef.
- If necessary, pour a little more olive oil and saute your onions, mushrooms, carrots, garlic and bay leaves and some salt for 5 minutes and reduce to simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add your cognac to the pot, stand back and light the alcohol and wait until it burns off. Add your beef (and juices), beef broth, bacon, tomato paste, thyme and bring to a boil with the lid covered. Now reduce to a simmer and cook for another hour. Have a taste and adjust for seasoning with salt and pepper. Add your potatoes and cook with the lid on for another 30 minutes.
- If you want your stew to be thicker, mix 3 Tbsp. of unsalted butter with 3 Tbsp. of flour and stir into the stew. Serve with some good country bread and mop it up!










5 comments:
I'll have to stop at our local Artisan bakery to get some good quality bread to mop up every drop!
Beef stews are a favorite of mine and that looks really good. I was just getting ready for some autumn cooking and it got warm again... not too long now.
Hi Peter - just catching up on all your posts since you've been back. This beef looks fabulous (its a favorite of ours too)... but the one that really caught my eye was the Skordalia. It reminds me of a garlic sauce served at a local Lebanese place that I love. I've tried to replicate it without success many times. I'm going to give this one a try....
All that is needed now is a hunk of rustic bread to sop up the sauce.
Janet, follow the recipe verbatim (you may sub. with almonds too) and slowly pour in the oil...lemme know how it turns out.
Post a Comment