Monday, November 5, 2007

Giovarlakia Soup



I've talked about the phenomenon of liking foods as an adult that you hated as a kid right? Well, this dish is also not one those!

Giovarlakia (You-ver-lawk-ya) soup is another Greek comfort dish that I always liked, be it as a child or in my pseudo-adulthood.

This is a meatball soup, finished off in the very familiar Avgolemono Sauce. It's also a quick dish, provided one has ready made stock and you don't mind rolling some meatballs.

I've had many varieties of Giovarlakia. Some good, some bad, some too thick, some too thin. Some like their meatballs real big, others real small.

I'll explain how I think Gioverlakia should be made. First, use a good chicken, veal or clear beef stock, be it homemade or store bought. It's a soup with delicate flavours and when you finish the soup with the Avgolemono mixture, one gets to appreciate the taste of the quality stock.

This soup should be a "medium thick". If made too thick, it can become paste-like the next day as the rice will absorb liquid. The soup should also not be thin or too sour from too much lemon. Did I mention it should be "medium thick?"

Finally, although my family always made large meatballs for this soup, I've found little, spoon-sized meatballs to work best.

Once again, the familiar flavour of Avgolemono has entered a Greek dish. Try this one out. It's a soup that eats like a meal, accompanied by crusty bread and finished off with freshly cracked pepper on the soup.

It's a cold, bone chilling day but I'm comforted by by big bowl of Giovarlakia soup.

Giovarlakia Soup

1 lb. lean ground beef
1 egg
1/3 cup Arborio rice + 1/2 cup Arborio rice for the soup
2 tsp. Vegeta Seasoning
2 tsp. pepper
2 quarts of good stock

Avgolemono
2 eggs
juice of 1 lemon
1 Tbsp. of flour

  1. Mix your ground beef, egg, 1/3 cup of rice, salt & pepper in a large bowl. Form the entire mixture into meatballs.
  2. Bring your stock to boil in a large pot. Drop your meatballs and 1/2 cup rice into the stock and bring back to a boil. Once you have a boil, reduce to a simmer (medium) with a just closed lid and cook for about 20 minutes. Take off the heat.
  3. In a small bowl, beat the eggs, flour and lemon juice. While beating, add 1 cup of water.
  4. Take a ladle of stock from your pot and slowly add it to your egg/lemon mixture while whisking.
  5. Slowly add your egg/lemon mixture back into your pot of soup and simultaneously keep on stirring as you're pouring.
  6. Adjust seasoning with salt and reserve for five minutes. Serve with some fresh parsley, cracked black pepper and some good bread.

Print this post

13 comments:

Elly said...

Just posted my version of this in my blog not too long ago and it's really similar :) I love this...one of my favorite things growing up. I used to eat about 10 big meatballs when my yiayia made it.

Ferdzy said...

Goodness, you are cooking up a storm. I feel most envious as I stagger in from another day of painting with no energy left for cooking.

I agree, small meatballs are more convenient to eat - the larger ones are only more convenient to make. Either way, though, it sounds delicious.

Kalyn Denny said...

Oh yes! I do want to try this. I love Avgolemono Sauce.

Truffle said...

This really does look wonderfully comforting. I love the photo of those meatballs.

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

Another great recipe for my ever growing pile of recipes to try. I wonder if I will ever get through them all? I will need to live to be 1,000 years old.

Sylvia said...

I truly enjoy this soap,I certainly try this

test it comm said...

I have been meaning to try a avgolemono soup. This one looks tasty.

Anonymous said...

I've been wanting to make this soup--and your pictures have convinced me that I MUST do it. Wonderful post.

Anonymous said...

Classic Greek comfort food - my favourite since I was a wee one!

t_J

Anonymous said...

this soup looks abstolutely stunning. the liaison is perfect!

Katie Zeller said...

I, also, love Avgolemono.
Your soup looks most delicious and very comforting - and so easy! Perfect!

Burcu said...

It is one of those dishes for me; I hated it as a kid but totally like it now. Actually, I made this a week ago, still remains to be posted. Small meatballs look very nice. Like your family we make them a bit bigger. There are differences between the recipes, yet it's the same dish once again :)

Eugenia Loli said...

I love youvarlakia, my mother in Greece does it lot. However, the recipe is turkish-originated. Along with a number of other dishes...