Monday, March 3, 2008

A Soup With Soul


This soup has come a long way since I was inspired years ago by a delicious spiced cabbage soup I enjoyed at a soup and sandwich stand.

I've been tinkering with ingredients, amounts and I'm finally content with the flavour, aroma and colour of this soup. I was never satisfied with the outcome of this soup until this past weekend.

This cabbage soup can certainly be made into a vegetarian one but I doubt one will achieve the same great flavour as this version.

The deal-breaker for this soup, the star, the highlight...Chorizo sausage. All it took was one Chorizo to turn this soup from ho-hum to yum-yum!

I used a mild Chorizo but I did make this spicy with the use of just 1 teeny red chili. Cabbage is the main vegetable here and much like a Minestrone, you can use what other vegetables you have at hand.

However, I would recommend this combo...it works real well and you'll have to take my word for it.

Another aspect of this soup I'd like to underline is the use of V8 vegetable cocktail. This veggie juice is a great way to pack flavour into a soup and it's also a time saver. This soup was ready in 45 minutes.

If you take a look at the progression of photos...I went back into the pot for a generous refill!

Spiced Cabbage Soup

1/3 cup olive oil
1 Chorizo sausage, casing removed and diced

2 medium onions, diced

1 large carrot, halved lengthwise then sliced

1 large stalk of celery, diced

1 potato, peeled and diced

2 cups of shredded cabbage

3 cloves of garlic, minced

3 bay leaves

1 tsp. fresh thyme
1/2 red bell pepper, sliced

1 Tbsp. smoked paprika

2 tsp. cracked black pepper

1 whole red chili

1 cup fresh or frozen green beans
(cut into 1/2 inch pieces)
1 1/2 cups of V8 vegetable cocktail

7 cups of chicken/vegetable stock

2 zucchinis, halved lengthwise then sliced

  1. In a large pot, add your olive oil over medium-high heat. Add your onions, carrots, celery, bay leaves and Chorizo and saute for 7-10 minutes to soften.
  2. Add your smoked paprika, cabbage, thyme, garlic, black pepper, red peppers and potatoes and stir to coat all the ingredients with the paprika for a couple of minutes.
  3. Add your V8 cocktail, stock, chili and bring to a boil. Cover ajar and reduce to a simmer on medium heat for 30-40 minutes.
  4. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper. Add your green beans and zucchini and simmer for 5 minutes to cook. Serve hot.

Print this post

29 comments:

Nina Timm said...

THE SOUP LOOKS PACKED WITH GOODNESS AND i CAN SEE YOU KNOW HOW TO MAKE A PROPER HAN SANDWICH....

Anonymous said...

Love your soup, Peter! That sandwich in the background looks awfully fine too :)

La Cuisine d'Helene said...

I love the color of the soup. I'll have to try it. I never had Chorizo sausage before. That would be a first.

Núria said...

What a great veggies cocktail Peter! Lovely! He,he... chorizo is a strong character and surely gets all veggies dancing in the plate :D

Maria Verivaki said...

looks fantastic, i can smell the chili in it

Pixie said...

I know I would love this soup, just the right amount of spices and adding the chorizo, yummy!

Cakelaw said...

A very hearty looking soup - perfect for the cold weather!

Anonymous said...

Great soup...I had no idea about the V8...you learn something new all the time.

Mike of Mike's Table said...

At first glance, I thought you had posted a sambar (and thought it odd that you'd have a bowl of it for a meal!), but the soup looks delicious. I tend to approach cabbage with skepticism, but you definitively won me over with chorizo. ;-)

Elly said...

That is one great looking soup, Peter! I love soups and anything with chorizo so this is a winner for me.

winedeb said...

Looks delicious Peter! I also found using V8 in my veggie soups does give it a nice flavor. I have even used the Spicy Hot version to kick up the soup a bit. Also reading your previous posts I am really digging your snapper with the tomato crust! Always enjoy a new fish dish!

Rosie said...

Your soup is a real showstopper of colour Peter. The chorizo added to this soup sounds perfect to me! A wonderful comfort food anytime.

Peter M said...

Nina, the sandwich was of mortadella, provolone and red peppers..fitting for this hearty soup.

Maryann, have you ever had cabbage soup before...it's really tasty! ;)

Helene, many types of chorizo out there, experiment to my find your favourite.

Nuria, 1 chorizo was suffice to flavour the soup.

Cake, I wish the weather would get warmer.

Pete, try V8...it's a great ingredient.

Mike, the cabbage tastes a little sweet in comparison with the spice...I like it.

Ben, I used the mild, air-dried Spanish chorizo, the kind that's edible when bought.

Deb, V8 is back to being a staple in the pantry.

Rosie, this soup would fill most people (with comfort too).

Finla said...

Wow this a a hearty soup.
Looks so delicious.

Judy@nofearentertaining said...

Great soup Peter. I have been making soups every Sunday. It's nice for one day of the week to not have to think about what I am having. I like the base of this one and I have a head of cabbage to use up!

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

Soup is one of the greatest comfort foods known to man. I applaud your persistence in getting the flavour just right:D

Tiina said...

What a lovely soup! The colours are just amazing and chorizo is always a great plus! I'll definitely want to try this recipe.

Heather said...

A man after my own heart - you not only squeezed sausage into a perfectly healthy soup, but then you served it with ham sammies (don't think I didn't notice those peeking out from behind the bowl!). :)

Lisa Turner said...

Peter, you should make a spicy vegetarian soup for this month's No Croutons Required :)

Peter M said...

Judy, cabbage is wonderful in soup and healthy for you.

Val, I'm finally very happy with this soup.

Cinnamonda, welcome and I look forward to seeing your version.

Heathz, it was mortadella.

Lisa, another soup is on it's way for your grass-eaters! lol

Astra Libris said...

Oooohhhhh, my... Chorizo and cabbage sound incredible... Wow... I'm in raptures...

Emily said...

Mmm...soup with Mortadella sandwiches. Sound great. Definitely not ho-hum.

pam said...

Love cabbage. Love chorizo. Love soup. This is perfect.

test it comm said...

That soup looks good and sounds tasty! I have found that sausage (like chorizo and italian) add a really nice flavour to soups and stews.

Proud Italian Cook said...

You might get this twice, I was having trouble with my server,anyway I love the use of the smoked paprika, I just recently bought some and have been thinking of ways to use it, thanks!!

Allen said...

I love a good soup -- this one looks fantastic, especially with chorizo. Good tip on the V8 juice as a kickstart to a soup!

CaliforniaKat said...

Hey Peter, I've been trying to leave a comment for weeks, but my blogger is frequently on the fritz. In any case, I wanted to know what you suggest as a substitution for chorizo on this recipe. It's not available here.

I find a lot of recipes I'd like to try, but the ingredients you list sometimes need substitutions because of unavailability of certain things.

Another reason to leave GR ;)

Peter M said...

Hi Kat, next time just email me if you're having Blogger issues.

As for Chorizo,Athens should have it in some of the high-end delis or I've seen it at Lidl too.

As for an alternative, any Greek "horiatiko" sausage should do the trick.

Anonymous said...

Hi Peter,

I tried this dish over the weekend to mixed reviews, but I think one was because he didn't really like cabbage other than in a salad ... The soup was ok, but I don't think it was as good as the carrot and ginger one which was a big hit! Thanks for the recipe!