Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Spetsofai (σπετζοφάϊ)




Spetsofai is a Greek dish made of sausages and peppers. Think of it as a Greek stir-fry, a one pan dish.

The first time I tried Spetsofai was in the city of Volos. It's a dish that's native to the province of Thessaly, which lies between Macedonia and Attiki.

Traditionally, this sausage stew is spicy but I've accommodated for those who might like the heat toned down in their dishes.

I used Macedonian sausages which are spicy to begin with and I've topped the stew with one long, hot pepper for anyone wanting a little heat for their Spetsofai.

Obviously this is a cold weather dish that's served as a meze or appetizer with wine or ouzo. I chosen to use different colours of peppers for presentation and to balance the spicyness of the dish with some natural sweetness.

This dish comes together in no time, the plate will be soon emptied and and you'll to make a second order as you get up to refill the drinks.

Turn up the Greek music, pour the ouzo and let's talk about life, thank God for good health and the good fortune of being Greek!

Spetsofai (σπετζοφάϊ)

3 Macedonian sausages
1 Tbsp. sunflower oil
1/3 cup olive oil
1 Tbsp. sweet paprika
1/2 red pepper, sliced
1/2 green pepper, sliced
1/2 yellow pepper, sliced
1 hot pepper
1 medium tomato, concasse & diced
1 medium onion, sliced
1/2 Japanese eggplant, sliced
2 cloves of garlic, sliced
salt & pepper to taste
1 tsp. dry oregano

  1. Place a large skillet over medium-high heat and add your sunflower oil. When it's about to smoke, add the hot pepper and fry until lightly brown on all sides then reserve. Now brown your sausages in the same skillet and also reserve.
  2. In the same skillet, add your olive oil and the onions, peppers, garlic, eggplant, tomato and paprika and some salt and saute over medium-high heat for a few minutes. Reduce to medium and simmer while stirring constantly for a couple more minutes.
  3. Cut your sausages into bite-sized pieces and add them to the skillet and stir often to cook through and blend with the other ingredients. Simmer for another 5-7 minutes.
  4. Check for seasoning and adjust with salt and pepper.
  5. Serve on a platter and drizzle some extra-virgin olive oil, sprinkle some dry oregano and top with your fried hot pepper. Serve with bread, feta, a salad and some wine or ouzo.

Print this post

33 comments:

La Cuisine d'Helene said...

I never heard of that recipe before. I'm so glad you continue to share them with us. I always discover something new to me on your blog. Looks delicious.

Unknown said...

i love 1 pan dish ^_^ and i love how it looks so rustic...i'll try doing a chinese/indonesian version ;)

Kalyn Denny said...

Sounds very good. I don't think I've seen this type of sausage here though. What else could you use?

Proud Italian Cook said...

Hot and spicy, my kind of food! I love hot Italian sausage,so I know I'd like this, I'd take that long hot pepper on top too!

PG said...

Looks really good. I like spicy food - so I'd probably opt for spicy sausage. Is there a Greek version of spicy Italian sausage?

Anonymous said...

Great job with the spetsofai Peter. I love this dish a lot. Gotta love one pan wonders.

Abitofafoodie said...

I love the look of this dish - all the better for being made in one pan, in my book! I'm guessing you could substitute any kind of sausage really? I've not come accross Macedonian sausages before.

Laura Paterson said...

Click... Tagged in my ever-increasing to-make list!

I can just imagine dipping crusty bread into the juices - I bet it tasted fabulous :)

David Hall said...

Those Macedonian sausages look rather lovely Peter!

Cheers
David

Sam Sotiropoulos said...

Where's the sauce? I know this stew well as I make it pretty regularly over the winter months, but this is the first time I've seen it done as a stir-fry in a frying pan. Is this a localized variation? From what I know, the Spetzofai (Pilioritiko) dish is a specialty of the area surrounding Mount Pelion in the southeastern part of Thessaly in central Greece and it is a stew done in a pot.

Still looks tasty though... and I am starting to feel as though I could use a bit of meat soon. :-)

Anonymous said...

The more I learn about Greek food, the more I love it. I was just reading a bit of history of how the Greeks inhabited most of southern Italy at one time. No wonder I see the connection.
This reminds me of our sausage and peppers. Nice post, Peter.
Thanks for your support while the Gremlins took over. Much appreciated :)
Should I.......???..."BOOKMARKED!!" haha

Patricia Scarpin said...

Another one my dad would go crazy over, Pete. Do you own a crystal ball or something? :)

Peter M said...

Helene, that's what my blog's about...showcasing delicious Greek dishes & more.

Mocha, 1 pan dishes are quick and all the flavours meld together.

Kalyn, although not the same taste...you could use garlic, Toulouse or Italian sausage in this type of dish.

Marie, hot Italian would work just fine here.

Psych, the Macedonian sausage is a spicy leek sausage, sold at St. Lawrence market too.

Pete, I've enjoyed this dish ever since first eating it in 1980.

Antonia, unless you have a large Greek population there, it could be hard to find outside of Greece. I make my own.

David, thank you...it's our own Bangers & Peppers! lol

Sam, you make it with more sauce, I make with less. I've seen it done both ways. You have your way, I'll have mine my way.

Maryann, yes indeed...Calabria and Sicily was long ago inhabited by Greeks. Back then, the eldest son was always given land. The second & other sons were sent off to distant places for their own land...Magna Grecia...what is now Italy.

Allen said...

Thank you for teaching me a new word - I've never heard the term concasse before. The dish look great, I love the sausage and pepper combination. It's even better that it's a one pan meal :-)

Anonymous said...

Delicious as usual! It has a strong resemblance to something we used to eat when I was young, although with more (and frankly more interesting) veggies. Perfect for early-season baseball, too!

Anonymous said...

Looks gorgeous, as usual. I love the colorful pepper mix!

glamah16 said...

Now this is what my CS would proclaim 'A Mans Dish'. I would eat it alongside some orzo.

Lori Lynn said...

Yum. I like the serving dish, and the hot pepper on the top!

Rosie said...

Looks gorgeous Peter and one pan dishes are fantastic. I wish I sitting down to this dish right now!

sonia a. mascaro said...

Humm! Looks yummy!

Maria Verivaki said...

good way to describe it - greek-style stir-fry

Peter M said...

Patricia, no ESP powers!

Allen, it's just a French term for something most already know how to do.

Fearless, what veggies did you use?

Threeforks, the different peppers do have subtle differences in taste too.

Glam, orzo sounds like a great side.

Lori Lynn, with the pepper on top, only those that want some heat can cut a piece.

Rosie, I was a little busy and this came together quick.

Sonia, indeed it was.

Maria, stir-fry is the 1st thing that came to mind.

Jessy and her dog Winnie said...

This looks delicious! My family would really like this. . hmm maybe i should make this!

Susan from Food Blogga said...

Mmmm...my dad ordered a similar meal the other night when he was visiting. Honestly, yours sounds so much better, Peter. :)

Susan @ SGCC said...

Okay, I'm drooling now. That looks like a great dish. Any suggestions on what might work in place of Macedonian sausage? I've never seen that around here.

test it comm said...

That sounds pretty tasty. I like one pan/pot dishes. :)

Ruth Strong said...

I really shouldn't look through food blogs when I'm just about to make lunch.... I really want this!!!!! The plan for lunch tho is a cheese sandwich and a pear... doesn't compare really.

Núria said...

Hola Chico! It shows in your dishes that you are a springfull mood!!! Isn't it great to have some sunny and warm days ahead?
Very nice presentation Peter :D

Hunter Angler Gardener Cook said...

Ah, spetsofai! I've made versions of this for years, but always with hot Italian sausage. Do you have a recipe for this sausage? What ingredients make a Macedonian sausage a Macedonian sausage?

And what wine would be good with this? Agiorgitiko?

Peter M said...

Susan, home cooked is usually better, no?

Sticky, Toulouse or a Spicy Italian would work fine.

Hunter, I made Macedonian sausages last yr. and if you do a blog search, you'll find the recipe. As for a Greek wine pairing, a Kir Yianni Merlot would pair nicely.

Anonymous said...

Hi Peter,

My boyfriend just came back from Greece bringing with him a whole lot of Greek sausage, so I thought it was an ideal time to try out your sausage dishes. Although he had seen spetsofai on menus, my boyfriend has never tasted it. He loved this one! So did my other flatmate. Thanks again! I'm becoming a better and better cook :) Thanks for the recipes!

Anonymous said...

I live in GR and make this dish (minus the eggplant) using 'Pelion sausages', which are made with beef and are rather dry in texture. Most certainly a 'stir-fry' rather than a 'stew' as Sam commented. Haven't thought of adding paprika but will try it out next time.
Kalo Pascha!
Olga

Betty Carlson said...

I know little of Greek food but your blog is gorgeous, and makes me want to eat, and make, more!